Skip to main content

The Secular Faith

I am trying to raise my daughter to have faith. Not faith in unproven, existential beings. Not faith that all people are essentially good (I don't believe that to be true and so would have a real problem selling it to Emma as a philosophy). No, I am trying to raise her to have faith that asking questions until you hear an answer that satisfies your curiosity is a worthwhile endeavour. In fact sometimes, asking questions is more important than getting answers. That takes real faith in your convictions.

It is extremely difficult to attempt to instil faith in another living, breathing, pooping human being when the word itself has been commandeered by the non-secular. When I discuss the things I want for my daughter with other friendly, ever so slightly passive- aggressive parents, I am told that developing faith means that I must educate her to believe even without proof and hand over some of my daughter's already well developed sense of inquisition. I don't use the word “poppycock” very often, but that is what that is. What I am trying to nurture is faith in inquisition, faith in method and faith in striving for personal knowledge.

Having lived side-by-side with Evangelical Christianity for the last 30 years, I can say that the belief and behaviour exemplified by the people I know in that community is commendable. I am certainly not anti-religion, but the idea of surrendering Will to a higher power is more than just a little unnerving. Above almost anything else, I would teach Emma to defend her Will vehemently. What I find unsettling is the notion of making a conscious decision to stop asking questions because you are told inversely “not to question faith”. To me, this sounds like a re-hash of the old “because I said so” line of reasoning that proves so popular with parents.

During a bath time this week, I told Emma not to touch the hot water coming out of the tap as it would hurt. Instinctively and, with hindsight obviously, she doesn't take my word for it. She wants to know why Daddy is being so imperious and she wants to know for herself exactly how hot it is. Now, I'm not saying that allowing your offspring to grab the kettle, attempt to iron their face or purposefully trap their hand in the door joint is the way to promote intellectual clarity, but a large part of me is encouraged that she decided to test the water for herself. She had a theory that the water wasn't as hot as Daddy said it was, she developed a method to test that theory, she executed that method and got a conclusive answer (for her post-doctorate she has put forward a theory that hitting Daddy in the testicles with her toy broom doesn't hurt nearly as much as he says it will).

A favourite quote, which I am extremely pleased to crow-bar into this article, is from Albert Einstein, who stated “It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education”. That applies not only to formal schooling, but to all constrained and limited education pathways, be they religious, from the classroom or from derivative parenting learned from Dr Phil or Oprah.

I want to instil in Emma a faith that the fundamental basis of endless questions and limitless answers will one day find a cure for cancer, that the origins of life will discovered and that one day we will discover if the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about. But none of these things happen purely because she or I have faith that “everything will be okay”. It's because of our faith that people who care will work extremely hard and keep asking extremely difficult questions. I want my daughter to know that, if she has faith in herself and faith in pursuing solutions, she could help make those things happen.

I know that when Emma is 5 I may regret teaching her the value of asking “Why?”. In fact, I've tried to pre-empt that issue by having a house rule that all questions must presented in properly formed sentences. But it would be a much bigger issue in my mind if she didn't ask me anything at all. I have faith that she will keep asking and that I will run out of answers. I just hope then that she will start ask ask someone who knows more than her Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Language

So, they are going to fine people for swearing in parts of Australia and in Barnsley town centre. My anger and disbelief at this idea is extremely difficult to contain. It makes absolutely no sense for myriad of reasons, but I just have to point out the most obvious. Language evolves and progresses over years and decades and centuries. What is considered foul language now was not considered foul language 100 years ago. You know, the kids these days are very creative. Did you know what a MILF was a decade ago? Believe it or not, Shakespeare did not pen the line “My companion, on yonder stool is thine finest mater, for she is a MILF and will make my heart take flight”. MILF is an acronym of the highest order, to be commended for its almost onomatopoeic quality. It also contains what is widely regarded as the second worst swear we have. Should it be banned? The offending word itself is not said,but surely it is strongly suggested. My wife is American and, as such, because of her soc

Not My Opinion

When did this happen? Without warning, I am now the go-to guy for every contentious discussion of which anyone in the office wishes to be a part. Recently, I have started to be hit with one line points of argument which make very little sense when flippantly thrown at me out of context and which make even less sense when given context by the aggressor. Do you think you're born gay or do you turn gay? What do you make of the 2012 end of the world? Both of these minor issues were thrown at me within the space of three hours last week from co-workers. Now, there are quick answers (“It's not for me to decide” and “It's bullshit”, taken in order), but that wouldn't do the combative nature of the questions any justice. I was asked in earnest to shed light on the subjects at hand. Although, with my reputation for being opinionated, loud and, well, a prick, I think they asked me for entertainment purposes more than anything else, like asking the drunken conspiracy-theory-guy in

Won't you be my neighbour?

So, paranoid at number 4 tried a new tact, this time complaining that our chickens have trespassed on her property. I looked up over my laptop and through my office window to see a member of Sheffield City Council peering over our fence to examine the chicken's humble abode. Holy shit. I hung up the phone to whatever insurance company was busting my arse that day to pop outside and offer a kind word, asking if there was anything I could help him with. Did he want to come over and take a closer look? As it turns out, he was quite a nice fellow and we had quite an amicable chat. There was nothing wrong with owning chickens and ours look perfectly content, he said. The only thing is, would we mind trying to make their area a little more secure by putting some pea-netting over the entrance, just to make double sure? Of course, says I. Anything we can do, we'll take care of. All the while, number 4 is seething from underneath her black hood, listening to the polite back-and-forth be